G20, G7, Globalization, UNO, WTO
There are many international organizations that exist to facilitate cooperation and coordination among countries on a range of issues. Here are some of the main international organizations:
- United Nations (UN): The UN is a global organization that aims to promote peace, security, and cooperation among member states. It has 193 member states and operates through a range of specialized agencies, including the World Health Organization, the International Labor Organization, and the United Nations Development Programme.
- World Trade Organization (WTO): The WTO is an intergovernmental organization that aims to promote free trade and open markets among member countries. It has 164 member countries and is responsible for regulating international trade through the negotiation and implementation of trade agreements.
- International Monetary Fund (IMF): The IMF is an international organization that works to promote international monetary cooperation, facilitate international trade, and promote sustainable economic growth. It provides financial assistance to member countries in times of economic crisis.
- World Bank Group: The World Bank is a group of five organizations that provide loans and technical assistance to developing countries to support economic development and poverty reduction. It includes the International Bank for Reconstruction and Development, the International Development Association, and the International Finance Corporation.
- North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO): NATO is a military alliance of 30 North American and European countries that aims to promote collective defense and security among its members.
There are many other international organizations that exist to promote cooperation on specific issues, such as the International Atomic Energy Agency, the International Criminal Court, and the International Renewable Energy Agency, among others.
« We are equal partners » – Cartoon on the asymetrical partnership between African and Chinese entrepreneurs. – Credit : Gado, Godfrey Mwampembwa, pen name Gado, one of the most famous political cartoonist in East and Central Africa.